daily wrap||football player killed, dora nginza strike called off

THREE PEOPLE HAVE DIED IN EASTERN CAPE TAVERN

Three people died and three others were injured when shots were fired at a tavern in Mkekezweni in the Polela area, on Thursday, 07 October 2022.

According to a report from the police spokesperson in the province, Colonel Priscila Naidu, at around 19:00 on Thursday evening, customers were drinking in the veranda of this tavern when three unknown men arrived and started shooting people.

“The first deceased, aged 26, who was on the veranda, was approached and he was shot multiple times. The rest of the patrons were ordered to lie on the floor.

“The suspects then went inside and a further two people, aged 31 and 41 were fatally wounded. Three other people, aged between 23 and 29 also sustained gunshot wounds and were taken to hospital for medical treatment,” Naidu said.

She said that the reason for the killing is still unknown. The suspects responsible for these acts of murder and attempted murder have not yet been identified and are still being sought.

Following the shooting on Thursday night in Bityi, Eastern Cape Police Commissioner, Lieutenant General Nomthetheleli Mene, implemented a 72-hour plan.

“We dare not allow criminals and crime to inflict fear in our communities. With the implementation of the 72-hour activation plan, we will not rest until these suspects are found and arrested,” Mene said.

CHIPPA UNITED FC PLAYER SHOT DEAD IN GQEBERHA

Chippa United FC have expressed their heartfelt condolences to the family, friends, and co-workers of one of the club’s academy graduates, who was fatally shot on the morning of Friday, October 07, in Gqeberha in the Eastern Cape.

Chesley Jaftha was reportedly murdered on Friday morning at a scene where a murder had taken place. He was with a friend at the time who was unaffected.

The 23-year-old athlete completed the club’s academy, played for Chippa FC’s feeder team, Peace Makers FC, and participated in senior team trainings.

“Everyone at the club is deeply saddened to hear of the passing of our former MultiChoice Diski Challenge and feeder team goalkeeper, Chesley Jaftha, at the tender age of 23.

“Our thoughts are with the Jafta family, colleagues and friends at this extremely sad time,” the club wrote on social media.

NURSES OF DORA NGINZA HOSPITAL CANCELED THE STRIKE AFTER DISCUSSIONS WITH THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH IN EASTERN CAPE

On Friday, October 7, at the Dora Nginza Hospital in Gqeberha, the Eastern Cape’s Department of Health reported that a deal had been reached to put an end to the nurses’ strike.

According to Yonela Dekeda, a spokesperson for the provincial Health Department, the agreement was reached on Friday night after two days of protests.

“All workers have reported for duty to resume their responsibilities, and services were fully restored across the weekend,” Dedeka said.

The hospital’s maternity ward was shut down because striking nurses were preventing doctors from providing care to pregnant patients.

The Department has partnered with the National Department of Health and the Office of the President, as they have provided support for sustainable solutions.

ANOTHER CASE OF THEFT HAS BEEN OPENED AGAINST CYRIL RAMAPHOSA

A businessman, Reuben Sekwele, opened a criminal case against Cyril Ramaphosa at the Booysens police station in Johannesburg for allegations that he stole his intellectual property. Sekwele, the CEO of the Rubbytad Group, an independent energy producer, says Ramaphosa stole his business plan that he submitted as an application.

He claims that Ramaphosa later included it in the country’s electricity plans. The businessman claims that around 2018, he gave Ramaphosa a copy of his business plan, and they even had a photo opportunity to do so.

Sekwele claimed yesterday that the president and other government agencies had accepted and used his information as their own, forcing him to file a complaint against Ramaphosa.

“I have opened the case for theft of my intellectual property against the president and I am prepared for the war because I know they unleash snipers, in a form of journalists and commentators to character assassinate me,” he said.

Sekwele declined to provide additional information about the case, or the departments involved, stating that he wanted to give police room to conduct their investigation independently.

A case of intellectual property theft against the president has been opened at the Booysens police station, according to police spokesperson Colonel Athlenda Mathe, who confirmed this yesterday.

Article by Siyakholwa Vuso || Edited by Cwayita Zweni

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *