DAILY WRAP|| TWO LIFE SENTENCES FOR RAPIST| DEADLY WEEKEND IN GQEBERHA|CHILD ABANDONED IN KARIEGA

A MAN HAS BEEN SENTENCED TO TWO LIFE TERMS FOR RAPING TWO YOUNG WOMEN

Sourced from google

A 30-year-old man has been sentenced to two life terms by the Butterworth Regional Court for raping two young girls aged 17 and 18 years, on 16 January 2023.

On the night of the 06th of July 2019, the two young ladies were walking from a traditional ceremony in the Mputhi area in Dutywa, when Sinethemba Xilongile, who had also attended the ceremony followed them and threatened them with a knife and told them to follow the path a nearby corn field.

It is reported that he tied them to one another and raped them, and released the younger victim, when she arrived at her home she reported the incident to her older sister. The suspect then took the older victim to his house where he raped her again. A neighbour came knocking on the door and that’s when she found a gap to run away to her home, and immediately reported the matter to her sister.

Both the victims opened cases of sexual assault on the following morning, but the suspect was only arrested in May 2022 after returning to the village as he had been on the run since the sexual assault. During the trial, Xilongile pleaded not guilty and denied ever being near the corn fields on that night and claiming to have been in a romantic relationship with one of the victims, the 18-year-old. During the cross-examination by the prosecutor, Thando Ndzube, Xilongile contradicted himself and could not explain why the person he claimed to have been his lover ran away from his home when he got a visitor.

The court found the evidence of the victims and that of their sisters, to whom they reported the rapes, credible. The prosecutor argued that the court should not deviate from the prescribed sentence of life and for the court to send a clear message to other potential rapists that the justice system is not tolerant of the abuse on women.

Eastern Cape Director of Public Prosecution, Barry Madolo, commended the prosecutor and the investigating officer for ensuring that the case is swiftly dealt with.

NELSON MANDELA BAY EXPERIENCED A DEADLY WEEKEND OF GANG SHOOTINg

Gang Violence

Nelson Mandela Bay Executive Mayor Retief Odendaal has called for a 72-hour activation plan to be implemented following a “deadly weekend of gang violence in the Northern Areas of the Metro.”

He stated that the City would make all available resources available to SAPS in order to assist in bringing those responsible to justice.

Alviro Isaacs, 30, was shot dead by three men in the early hours of Sunday morning at Smelly Creek Lighthouse, according to SAPS.

Meanwhile, a man’s body was discovered next to a VW Golf on Imbuia Street in Arcadia, according to police spokesperson Colonel Priscilla Naidu. He had several gunshot wounds.

“Whilst police were still busy at this scene, they were informed that a second deceased person was lying in an open field behind Oosthuizen Street. Arcadia. A third victim who was also allegedly shot was taken to hospital by ambulance while the fourth victim managed to escape, unhurt,” she said.

“The second deceased also sustained multiple gunshot wounds,” Naidu said.

She stated that the victims, aged 26 to 29, had fled a house and were getting into a vehicle when they were shot by unknown suspects who pursued and fired at the victims.

She stated that the names of those killed in this incident would be released at a later date.

Naidu also reported the murder of an 18-year-old man on Calvin Street, Extension 6 in Malabar, as well as the murder and attempted murder of another man in “Barcelona”.

Mayor Odendaal issued a statement on Sunday expressing his condolences to the families of those tragically killed.

“I have spoken to the SAPS district commissioner for Nelson Mandela Bay, Major General Vuyisile Ncata, and called for a 72-hour activation plan.  The Mayoral Committee Member for Safety and Security, Councillor Lawrence Troon, and I have offered the City’s support to track down the killers,” he added.

“Major-General Ncata has assured me that the police, are prioritising the violence in the Northern Areas and that he will provide feedback on an activation plan,” Odendaal said.

POLICE ARE LOOKING FOR THE MOTHER OF AN ABANDONED CHILd

Abandoned Child

Kariega police are asking for the public’s assistance in locating the mother of a young girl who was abandoned with homeless people in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Colonel Priscilla Naidu, a police spokesperson, said the matter is being investigated by the Family Violence Child Protection and Sexual Offences Unit.

She claimed the woman abandoned the child with a group of people sleeping on Caledon Street under the Van Vuuren Bridge.

“The child who is about 4 or 5 years old was brought to the police station after the mother failed to fetch her,” she said.

According to Naidu, the child does not know where she lives and is only known as Kayla Jacobs.

HUNDREDS OF LIVES WERE SAVED IN THE EUROPEAN UNION DURING THE HOLIDAY SEASON

EMS ON SITE

According to the Eastern Cape Health Department, its emergency medical services (EMS) personnel had a busy holiday season, responding to car accidents, trauma cases, drownings, and fire incidents, saving hundreds of lives.

According to the report, EMS responded to 16 153 calls in just 17 days in December.

According to the Department, personnel responded to 11 899 medical emergencies, 3 565 trauma cases (shootings, stabbings, shootings, and near drownings), 665 car accidents, and 13 fire incidents between December 15 and December 31.

The report states that, 3 399 of the medical emergencies attended to were patients in critical condition, and 6 241 were serious injuries.

There were 247 fatalities, with one maternal death recorded.

There were 455 road accidents reported, with the majority involving light motor vehicles and 150 involving pedestrians.

Buses and minibus taxis were involved in 49 accidents.

Nomakhosazana Meth, Eastern Cape’s health MEC, thanked the life-saving efforts of EMS personnel, many families were able to spend Christmas with their loved ones who were involved in accidents.

THREE PEOPLE WERE KILLED IN A PLANE CRASH IN JOHANNESBURG

Nasrec aircraft crash scene

On Sunday morning, three people were killed when their light aircraft crashed near Nasrec, south of Johannesburg.

The cause of the crash, according to Emer-G-Med spokesperson Kyle van Reenen, is unknown.

According to him, Air Traffic Control confirmed that there were three people on board the plane.

Van Reenen stated that police were on the scene and would conduct the necessary investigation alongside the Civil Aviation Authority.

ARTICLE BY SIYAKHOLWA VUSO|| EDITED BY CWAYITA ZWENI

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *